Please make sure you respond by the deadline*, and encourage others to do the same. Your voice is important.
|A SUNY Potsdam Greek Week t-shirt|
From: "SUNY Potsdam Greek Life Task Force" <GreekTaskForce@potsdam.edu>
Date: Apr 12, 2013 10:42 AM
Subject: Greek Life at SUNY Potsdam
The SUNY Potsdam Greek Life Task Force is requesting feedback from alumni regarding greek life at SUNY Potsdam. President Schwaller has formed the SUNY Potsdam Greek Life Task Force to determine if there is a role for Greek letter organizations at SUNY Potsdam in the 21st century. This inward look is a result of a consistent and disturbing pattern of violations of College policies and state law, most significantly involving a persistent pattern of hazing and alcohol violations.
The Task Force is looking very seriously at this question and gathering as much information as possible. We have reached out to many constituencies and are seeking feedback from any and all interested parties. We have reached out to the alumni affiliated with each currently recognized house, but we also wanted to reach out to alumni who are affiliated with groups no longer recognized and alumni who may have no greek affiliation but would like to weigh in on this topic.
We are looking for any and all feedback from alumni. We ask that the feedback be constructive and thoughtful. Further, we ask that when thinking about your comments, you keep in mind that there is a documented problem that does exist and that the Task Force is looking for meaningful and constructive direction. Doing nothing and affecting no change is not an option. We want to know what changes you think would be most productive. We suggest that any feedback address the following questions or topics:
1. What year did you graduate Potsdam?
2. Are you an active alumni? (i.e. - Do you attend Potsdam events such as reunion or regional events in your area?)
3. Were you a member of a Greek organization?
4. If yes, how did this experience shape your Potsdam experience?
5. If no, did Greek life impact your SUNY Potsdam experience - either positively or negatively?
6. Do you give back to SUNY Potsdam?
7. Would a change to the Greek system impact your decision to support SUNY Potsdam in the future?
8. How much time and attention should the College dedicate to the Greek system?
9. What role should the College play in the Greek system?
10. What suggestions do you have for improving the Greek system?
11. Are you familiar with the College's guidelines relative to hazing and alcohol use?
12. What additional information or statement would you like to provide to the Task Force?
We want to thank you for your feedback and ask that you submit that feedback by responding to this email address. We ask that all comments be submitted by Tuesday, April 16, 2013. I know this is a short timeframe, but we have been given a deadline of early May to submit our initial findings.
SUNY Potsdam Greek Life Task Force
If you cannot get this submitted by the deadline, please send it anyways, per the following:
"I'm on the Greek Life Task Force, and I'm also on the sub-team that submitted the general request for alumni feedback. I apologize for the short timeframe requested for response. We submitted the email for transmission, but because it reads like a survey, it had to go through a formal review process at the school level before being sent out. That took a few days we hadn't planned for, and we realized too late that we should have adjusted the due date. If you need a couple of extra days to formulate your response, please take the time. Feel free to note on your response that I told you it could be late.
Glen Zagorski '87, Psi Phi Delta "