Saturday, October 24, 2015

6 Prospect Place Demolished

Sigma Delta fraternity, founded at Clarkson in 1904, purchased the house at 6 Prospect Place from Professor Warren Mann on June 1, 1921. Initially they were not sure if they would build a new house or use the existing one. They ended up doing extensive remodeling to the existing house. They called it "the house on the hill."

In 1946 the brothers added a 27-foot flagpole in front of their house, dedicated to members of the fraternity who gave their lives in World War II. It was constructed with a cross arm so they could fly the American flag at the top and the Sigma Delta banner and Clarkson flag below. A bronze plaque installed at its base contains the names of all fallen alumni.
1925 Clarkson yearbook
1939 Clarkson yearbook
Sigma Delta lost their recognition from Clarkson in 1999 (article). The house was condemned and purchased by Clarkson in November, 2009 for $79,000. In October, 2015 the house was demolished. Clarkson plans to use the land for a parking lot.
Reunion Weekend, July 
November, 2009
November, 2009

October 2015
October 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment